Art Education in Vietnamese schools is based on the National Curriculum VO TAP VE Grade 1-5.
The content of VO TAP VE is arranged in 35 lessons/bais for each grade. Each exercise has its own aims and objectives. The lessons/bais are single non-attached exercises. During a school year the teacher will cover topics and exercises within the areas in the national curriculum: picture drawing, object drawing, decoration, sculpture and appreciating art.
The aim of this cultural development project SAEPS has been to inspire primary school art teachers to combine artistic skills with innovative teaching methods.
The main challenges have been:
- To examine the national curriculum and identify areas for development
- To identify learner centered pedagogical methods
- To develop integrated and interactive processes within the 5 areas: picture drawing, object drawing, decoration, sculpture and appreciating art
- To identify approaches to develop and qualify visual-spatial skills and knowledge
- To identify relevant theories to support and develop Vietnamese art education
- To arrange in-service training and support to piloting Primary Schools
- To compile experiences to be shared at a National Seminar